Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 212 - Lisa

Today we started off by going to Mardi Gras World.  Always a lot of fun learning about the history of Mardi Gras and seeing the floats in various states of design.  From there we ventured over to the Riverwalk, an indoor mall and then to Harrah's to beat the heat.  Around 3pm, we decided to head back to the hotel to clean up as we had plans to go to Bullet's Sports Bar to hear Kermit Ruffins play.  We went out to usher a cab, a big Cadillac Escalade cab rolled up and I went over to ask if he could take us.  This is where we met the infamous "Big E," he said he could not as the cabs all lined up and he was just dropping off, he handed me his card and said, "call me if you need a ride, I do tours, etc."  I said, "oh ok, we are needing to go into the Treme later tonight to Bullets."  He said, "what?  are you kidding me I live in the Treme, of course, I'll pick you up Baby, just give me a call."  So we went back to the hotel rested a bit and I called Big E.  We made arrangements and 5 minutes later he called me back to remind us not to eat because they'd surely be BBQ'ing ribs and we would not want to miss that!  LOL!  I told him I knew about it.  6pm comes along and Big E is there to get us.  Somehow we got on the subject of the HBO show Treme and he told us he was in the show, they used his various vehicles.  Big E then gave us a personal tour of the Treme; museums, church, houses where Treme was filmed AND he took us to his house and we met his wife.  He then dropped us at Bullets and told us to call and wake him up for a ride back.  Just an awesome guy.  Bullets was SO MUCH FUN.  A big house party with top professionals dropping in to play with Kermit.  We cheered the women's gymnastic team on as they mixed music, sports, food and spirits.  We saw neighborhood people bring in cakes, cookies, peanuts and even hats to sell.  So many stories, so many nice people.  I'll never forget my mama dancing and eating her ribs at the same time.  A slice of heaven this Tuesday night to remember forever. "Down in the Treme, just me and my baby, we're all going crazy, just jamming and having fun!"









No comments:

Post a Comment