Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28 - Lisa

I got all excited this week.  I was driving home from work and seen a van with a logo that read, "Skip's Chicago Dogs" on the side.  In small writing it said including "Chicago Italian Beefs."  OMG!  I have to try this place.  If there is one thing I miss about Chi-Town it is the taste of those delightfully smoldering hot Italian Beefs.  I loved them so much (yes this is an unhealthy obsession with food) I have worked to master my version of an Italian Beef, even special ordering the peppers online.  I email my mom - LOOK!  I decide that this weekend I "MUST" go to Skip's and give these a try.  I mean it states on the website he is originally from Chicago.  

So tonight my mom, oneeya and I set out to go to Skip's in Avondale Estates.  It's about 20 to 25 minutes from where we live.  Well, Nancy my GPS voice, was a tad cranky I think and sent us on a 45 minute journey into the Hood.  So we were now thinking these better be REALLY good.  Luckily, Skips is a drive-thru as oneeya was now really antsy.  We got our beefs and headed home.  Home only took us 20 minutes.  Grr!  We munched on greasy fries all the way home to keep the doggie happy.

I open the brown heavy paper wrapping, OMGosh it looks so good.  Smells just like Chicago. I take a bite and my ankles instantly swell.  I'm pretty sure that sandwich contained all the salt content my mom and I will need for the rest of the week.  I ate 3/4's and surrendered. What a disappointment.  ;< I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order from Al's online or maybe Portillo's. Or maybe we need to fly to Chicago.  Well, when it's Spring time, not the dead of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment