Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 254 - Lisa

Have been unpacking boxes marked "Lisa" today and discovered my Grandma Emily's tambourines.  My great grandfather handmade them for her when she was a young girl so they are easily 75+ years old.  She sang in a band during her teen years.  The cymbals are cut dry goods cans.  He individually tapped each one for the design on them.  They are held to the wood via nails and tacks.  On the inside of the skin is her and my great grandpa's signatures.  I plan to hang them again.  They are a symbol of the deep bond music has played in our family for many generations.  I can still hear my Grandma singing to me as a little girl with my Papa Marion and then of course our Linda Ronstadt and Patsy Cline duets and trios in my truck when we'd be headed some where during her last years of living with us.  :> 

No comments:

Post a Comment