Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 31 - Lisa

I was driving home yesterday and noticed this crowd near the railroad tracks by my job.  I was intrigued as to what was happening.  A glance up the road a bit further I saw five fire trucks.  It became obvious these people had all been evacuated out of a warehouse.  Turns out it was a minor fire.  However the crowd reminded me of when I was a kid with my cousins all living in the same neighborhood.  My mom and Tia Madeline told us about the Spanky & Our Gang kids doing all kinds of crazy things that we could do too.  Like all of us gathering at the corner of a street and just staring up into the sky.  Find out how many people you can get to do this too.  Don't say a word while doing it, just look and point into the sky.  Suckers that we were and always up for an adventure there'd we go.  Hours of standing on various corners to get all kinds of reactions; good, bad, funny, outrage, almost accidents with skaters, bicyclists and cars.  Little did we know at the time this was just their way to get us outside, lock the screen doors and do whatever they did in the house.  They claimed it was so they could clean house but the stereo was always cranked up.  Lunch would come and out of the barely opened door would appear "the arm";  sandwiches on a tray and a jug of kool-aid!  With orders to leave the tray and jug by the door and be back home for dinner.  With all the concern my mom could muster would come the following statement,  "I'm only going to call you once."  LOL!   In my best Edith Bunker voice, "Those were the days."

No comments:

Post a Comment