Sunday, November 13, 2011

Week 45 - Sis

The evening of the 8th the call I was expecting came. "You better get here as soon as you can." I was on a plane the following day to California, thanks to my daughter Lisa finding the flight for me and printing my boarding pass. From the minute I landed there was a long list of relatives and friends who had already started to volunteer to help in any way possible. My sister Connie surrounded by many caring people, passed away at 1:30 a.m. November 17th. The funeral services were held on the the morning of the 23rd and I flew back to Georgia late that night, arriving at 5:20 a.m. Thanksgiving morning. I'm grateful I was able to be there among my remaining sisters and the many younger generations, to tell Connie everyday that I loved her and to join together with my large family to say our final goodbyes. Since 2000, I've lost my husband, mother,a brother-in-law, plus my two brothers. Now I have an older half-sister and three younger sisters living and that may seem like a lot of siblings to some, but the gap left after each loss is enormous; in so many ways to me. Connie joins that list of people who impacted my life, leaving memories from childhood to her last breath. When I hear Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt I will also hear my sister Connie's great voice and joy in singing it. Now with the Lord, she is, at last, at peace. I let you go Connie, feeling both sadness and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment